The GameCube was launched as a video game console back in 2001. It was an extremely popular Nintendo console that made a huge mark in the Japan and USA markets. It did well for quite a while, giving stiff competition to Microsoft’s Xbox and Sony’s PlayStation 2.
However, in 2007, Nintendo shifted its focus to Nintendo DS and Wii. It announced that it was pulling first-party support for Nintendo GameCube. The console was no longer available in the market.
Is it worth it to buy a GameCube in 2020?
Now, even though GameCube does not enjoy first party support, it is available in the market. You can buy unsealed (new), refurbished, or second-hand models.
We advise against it, though.
When there are so many newer models such as Nintendo DS and Wii, why buy something that was discontinued over a decade ago? GameCube also supports very limited games and that is why, unless you are getting one for a very low price, we suggest that you upgrade.
What if you already have a GameCube? Well, then, let’s find you the best 3rd party GameCube controller in the market today to help you have the finest gaming experience!
Best 3rd party GameCube controller
Following is a list of our favorite controllers that you can buy at a great value. We have curated this list based on user reviews and our personal experiences. Here we go!
1. VOYEE Wired Controller (Purple)
It is cute and reliable, and it is not overly expensive either! This controller also doubles as a gamepad and is compatible with Wii and GameCube. Below are the reasons why we love it:
- The controllers on the gamepad will let you save, load, delete, and copy games.
- It has analog joysticks.
- It also comes with a D-pad and pressure sensitive buttons.
- Design-wise, it comes pretty close to the original controller.
- The controller’s wire measures 5.9 feet, which is more than enough to give you a relaxed gaming experience.
- It is the ideal choice for adults who love playing games on their GameCube.
- If you get a controller adapter, you will be able to use the gamepad for Windows, Nintendo Switch, and Nintendo Wii U.
2. GameCube Controller – 3rd Party
This one’s really cute and easy to use. It is the ideal choice for Smash Brothers but you can use it for other purposes as well. Let’s find out why it made its way to our list:
- The vibration feedback it provides is quite amazing.
- You can use it with all GameCube systems. It is also compatible with Wii.
- The controller was designed to provide comfort and stability while gaming and it delivers quite wonderfully.
- It replicates the original controller from Nintendo in that the controls are grouped clearly on the left and right.
- Every button is intuitively placed.
3. GameCube Controller – CIPON
The CIPON wired controllers are Amazon’s Choice because they have consistently pleased their users. They are known for their excellent performance and reliability. Let’s find out more:
- The controllers have dual analog joysticks, a large D-Pad button, and analog buttons that are pressure-sensitive.
- They have the same feel and design of the original controllers.
- They are very easy to use and even after hours of gaming, you won’t feel fatigued.
- The controllers have been designed for kids and adults alike.
- You will have fun play any Smash game or Melee with these controllers. You can also use them on Wii.
- The length of the cable is 1.8 m.
- This is a set of 2 wired controllers.
4. Exlene Wireless GameCube Controller
If you are looking for a wireless controller for your GameCube, this one’s perfect! Available in black and purple, you can use it for Nintendo Switch, PC, GameCube, and more. We have a few more details right here for you:
- The controller has motion controls, all-system buttons, rumble, and turbo functions.
- Since it is a wireless controller, you will need a USB-C cable to charge it. The internal battery if, of course, rechargeable. You will have a fully charged controller in about 2 hours.
- Setting up is quite easy but you need to be attentive because in the first go, you will have to connect it using a cable. Only after that can you go ahead and use it through Bluetooth.
- The layout is just like the original controller with ABXY buttons.
- The D-Pad is quite crisp and responsive.
5. GameCube Controller Bundle
This one’s for those who want a bundle deal. You get not 1 but 4 3rd party GameCube controllers in this set, complete with extension cords and a 4-port adapter. We have highlighted a few interesting features for you:
- The controllers are the same shape as the original Pro Controller. They are comfortable and easy to use. They also have the same layout.
- The bundle offers exceptional compatibility with GameCube games as well as Nintendo Switch games.
- Thanks to the 4 docks, you can enjoy the multi-port capability and connect all the 4 controllers together! You also won’t have to worry about any delays or lags during gaming.
- The built-in wire is 5.5 feet long. It is not a USB cable.
- The buttons are quite responsive and give an overall premium feel.
- The bundle also comes with an adapter that you can use when you connect to Nintendo Wii U.
As you can see, all these controllers do justice to their price tag and are mainly for moderate usage. They may not last for years together like the original set but we are sure you are not looking for that quality either. 3rd party controllers are famous for being affordable and doing their best in replicating the original. However, they cannot be seen as replacements. They will fall short in one aspect or the other, especially in the comfort and feel. A few buttons may be stiff and not very smooth, for example. A few others may need more pressure to function. So, as long as you are not a heavy user, these 3rd party GameCube controllers will be good enough for you.
We hope that our list helped you and saved your time. Please feel free to write to us if you have any suggestions or queries. Happy playing!